Friday, 28 June 2013

Re: Ubuntu graphic stack roadmap update

Hi Scott,

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 8:49 AM, Scott Kitterman <> wrote:
On Friday, June 28, 2013 04:28:54 PM Oliver Grawert wrote:
> hi,
> On Fr, 2013-06-28 at 10:04 -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > I don't think we'll know for awhile if XMir is really as generally
> > compatible as is currently being claimed.  I believe it's being design
> > and planned to be compatible, but I don't believe there is enough data in
> > evidence at this point to know how successful it's developers have been.
> > So even if KDE on XMir is no better or worse than Unity on XMir (which is
> > also an assumption), I think it makes complete sense for Kubuntu to wait
> > and see.
> yes, understood, i personally would jump on it asap to catch the bugs
> and have Mir upstream fixing them for me.
> i understand if you are cautious though...
> but i also see that riddells last post on behalf of kubuntu doesnt
> really leave any room for "wait and see" anymore ...

For 13.10, we've decided what we're doing.  He's not saying that we've decided
forever and please don't claim he is.

we acknowledge that decision. As mentioned before, there is no way influencing it other than being great. There has been a lot of discussion about the KUbuntu decision making process, but I think there is no point in following that further. On a more constructive note, I am extending my offer to help KUbuntu to reevaluate in the future, as you have now repeatedly put as one possible option.

I wanted to let you know that I can get a grasp of the situation KUbuntu is in, being trapped in the middle of a distribution and your upstream. Being invited to a new technology by your distribution (in the sense of base OS) while having to argue with an upstream that doesn't support this technology is certainly no fun and wearing.

Feel free to ping us if there is anything we can help with.