Every 6 months the Ubuntu Kernel Team is tasked to pick the kernel to be
used in the next release. This is a difficult thing to do because we
don't definitively know what will be going into the upstream kernel over
the next 6 months nor the quality of that kernel. We look at the Ubuntu
release schedule and how that will line up with the upstream kernel
releases. We talk to hardware vendors about when they will be landing
their changes upstream and what they would prefer as the Ubuntu kernel
version. We talk to major cloud vendors and ask them what they would
like. We speak to large consumers of Ubuntu to solicit their opinion.
We look at what will be the next upstream stable kernel. We get input
from members of the Canonical product strategy team. Taking all of that
into account we are tentatively planning to converge on 4.15 for the
Bionic Beaver 18.04 LTS release.
On the road to 18.04 we have a 4.14 based kernel in the kernel team's
##Stable (Released & Supported)##
* SRU cycle completed successfully and the following kernel updates
have been released to the -updates pocket:
* The following kernels snaps updates have been released on the snap store:
* Artful Aardvark (Ubuntu 17.10) has been released and its kernel
packages are now in SRU.
* The updated kernel packages for the next SRU cycle are now in
-proposed pocket ready for verification and tests.
Kernel versions in -proposed:
* Current cycle: 27-Oct through 18-Nov
27-Oct Last day for kernel commits for this cycle.
30-Oct - 04-Nov Kernel prep week.
05-Nov - 17-Nov Bug verification & Regression testing.
20-Nov Release to -updates.
* Next cycle: 17-Nov through 09-Dec
17-Nov Last day for kernel commits for this cycle.
20-Nov - 25-Nov Kernel prep week.
26-Nov - 08-Dec Bug verification & Regression testing.
11-Dec Release to -updates.
* New release of stress-ng, V0.09.02 (porting and bug fix release).
* [The current CVE
* If you would like to reach the kernel team, you can find us at the
channel on FreeNode. Alternatively, you can mail the Ubuntu Kernel
list at: email@example.com.
ubuntu-devel mailing list
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel