I am following up on my proposal to enable CONFIG_SECURITY_DMESG_RESTRICT on
Groovy onward with debdiffs necessary to implement the feature.
I propose that we restrict access to dmesg to users in group 'adm' like so:
1) CONFIG_SECURITY_DMESG_RESTRICT=y in the kernel.
2) Following changes to /bin/dmesg permissions in package 'util-linux'
- Ownership changes to root:adm
- Permissions changed to 0750 (-rwxr-x---)
- Add cap_syslog capability to binary.
3) Add a commented out '# kernel.dmesg_restrict = 0' to
Why do we want this?
Currently unprivileged users can access the kernel log buffer / dmesg with no
restrictions, but cannot access journalctl or /var/log/kern.log or /var/log/syslog.
Kernel oops messages can leak sensitive information such as kernel pointers in
their register dumps, which helps attackers with their priv esc exploits.
For more context, read:
1) Has been implemented with commit:
2) I have prepared a debdiff to util-linux which implements the changes, and
is ready for review here:
3) I have prepared a debdiff to procps, and is ready for review here:
Can I please get feedback on the long term maintainability of the patches,
particularly the changes to util-linux? Would Debian be interested in these
If everyone is in agreement with the changes, can I please get the debdiffs
The Launchpad Bug for this proposal is LP1886112:
Test packages for procps and util-linux for Groovy can be found in this ppa:
On 3/07/20 6:44 am, Seth Forshee wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 12:40:36PM +1200, Matthew Ruffell wrote:
>> I am proposing that we enable the CONFIG_SECURITY_DMESG_RESTRICT  feature by
>> default for Groovy onward.
> Seems like the discussion on this has stalled. I checked with the
> security team and they are +1 on this, so I went ahead and made the
> change in our 5.7/5.8 kernel trees. It's likely to be a couple of weeks
> before we land one of these in groovy-release, so hopefully that will
> give enough time to at least update /usr/bin/dmesg.
ubuntu-devel mailing list
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel